Happy August! In honor of what would have been the birthday month of the King of Pop, I’ll start this month’s newsletter with a tribute to Michael Jackson. It’s hard to believe that it’s been five years since “The King of Pop” tragically passed away. There are certain events in history that we remember exactly where we were and what we were doing when they happened, like the space shuttle Challenger explosion, 9-11, or when JFK was assassinated. Michael Jackson’s death for many was such an event. While his music still lives on, we miss having him around. Here’s to you MJ!
LITTLE-KNOWN FACTS ABOUT THE KING OF POP
1. Michael Jackson’s favorite animated character was Pinocchio
2. When he was a child his favorite books included Rip Van Winkle and The Old Man and the Sea
3. Michael Jackson was very ticklish
4. Saint Vincent, an island in the Caribbean, once issued Michael Jackson stamps
5. The singer once owned a boa constrictor called “Muscles”
6. As a youngster he used to put spiders in sister La Toyah’s bed
7. He played a scarecrow in The Wiz, a movie version of the Wizard of Oz
8. He has two stars on the Hollywood Walk of Fame (one for himself and one as part of the Jackson Five)
9. Quincy Jones nicknamed him “smelly” – a slang term similar to “funky”
10. Jackson described his own voice on early Jackson 5 records as “like Minnie Mouse”
Why Would You Adjust a Newborn?
Appetizing picture, huh? I’ve been asked many times before, “How young is too young to get an adjustment?” Great question.
If we consider the fact that a baby’s skeleton at birth is still mostly cartilage, the birth process itself can be quite traumatic. In fact, it is the most physically traumatic experience that many people will ever experience.
Historically until about the last two hundred years most births were squatting births or water births. It makes sense that if you are trying to give birth that you would try and use gravity to your advantage. It wasn’t until the advent of modern medicine that women were made to lie on their backs and give birth…not as easy of a process. Without the aid of gravity, as in a squatting birth, the birthing process is much more difficult. It’s kind a of gross question, but you wouldn’t lie on your back to have a bowel movement, would you ?
Enter forceps and suction. These medical techniques involve grabbing onto the baby’s head and pulling it out with either a forceps device like the one in the picture, or a suction cup that is sucked up against the baby’s head and pulled out. Again, when we consider that the newborn spine is so delicate, it makes sense that bones can be pushed or twisted out of alignment fairly easily, causing subluxation in the spine and resulting nerve interference leading to many different types of ailments. Many babies end up with digestive issues, colic, respiratory problems, among many others due to subluxations from the birth process.
Even in natural births these subluxations can occur and are very common. This is why we often recommend having babies checked at a young age, as early as one day old for subluxations in the spine. I’ve adjusted many babies under a week old in my office.
The adjustments that we perform on babies are obviously different than those on an adult spine. Usually light fingertip pressure or the aid of a safe and gentle instrument are sufficient. The great thing about treating babies is that their little bodies are so resilient. They respond very quickly and usually do not need as much work as us “old folks.”
An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure, right?
Your HEALTH is your Most Important asset.
Take it SEIOUSLY.
Thinking Twice About Flipping on the “Boob Tube”
Summer break is nearing an end, so kids have probably been watching more TV than usual. The following facts are published by an organization called TV-free America (Essential.org). They are enlightening:
- Number of 30-second commercials seen in a year by an average child: 20,000
- Number of minutes per week that parents spend in meaningful conversation with their children: 38.5
- Number of minutes per week that the average child watches television: 1,680
- Percentage of children ages 6-17 who have TVs in their bedrooms: 50
- Percentage of day care centers that use TV during a typical day: 70
- Hours per year the average American youth spends in school: 900 hours
- Hours per year the average American youth watches television: 1500
- Percentage of Americans that regularly watch television while eating dinner: 66
- Number of murders seen on TV by the time an average child finishes elementary school: 8,000
- Number of violent acts seen on TV by age 18: 200,000
- Percentage of Americans who believe TV violence helps precipitate real life mayhem: 79
Everyone’s heard the term “laughter is the best medicine.” That couldn’t be more true! Cherish your happiness and your health WILL improve!
We all need to SMILE. Pass a smile on today!
>>>JOKE OF THE MONTH <<<
What is your IQ?
Albert Einstein arrives at a party and introduces himself to the first person he sees and asks, “What is your IQ?” to which the man answers “241.” “That is wonderful!” says Albert. “We will talk about the Grand Unification Theory and the mysteries of the Universe. We will have much to discuss!”
Next Albert introduces himself to a woman and asks, “What is your IQ?” To which the lady answers, “144.” “That is great!” responds Albert. “We can discuss politics and current affairs. We will have much to discuss!”
Albert goes to another person and asks, “What is your IQ?” to which the man answers, “51.” Albert responds, “How ’bout them Cowboys?”
It’s almost football season. Good luck to your favorite team!
“Help a Friend” DAY
A lot can be said about PAIN, but here’s the truest thing of all: it hurts, and when that happens, it sucks.
When you have PAIN, you want to stop it as FAST as you can…
…so I’m officially designating Monday, August 25th as “Help A Friend” day, at 1st Choice Chiropractic. And to help you do just that, I am giving your friends two of the fastest ways to do this…
The first is to set up a chiropractic appointment with me by calling us at:
The second way is by showing them our website (DFWchiropractor.com) where they can find special deals and info.
If your friends suffer from any type of back, neck or any type of other pain, have them call the office NOW. We have a few available appointments, but those will fill up fast and I want to make sure you have the opportunity to help as many of your friends take advantage of this SPECIAL OFFER as possible.
***MY FINAL THOUGHTS***
- Don’t forget to REFER your friends, co-workers and loved ones for a checkup. Their health is their most important asset.
- Don’t miss out on this month’s Dinner with the Doc at El Fenix Restaurant! Let us treat you and 3 friends or family members to dinner Tuesday the 19th at 7:00PM.
- Bring in 3 school supplies this month for a free adjustment! Help AISD students succeed this year!
As always, be well.